Who we are
The Bulgarian Chamber of Mining and Geology is a national non-governmental organization representing businesses in the field of mining and related activities and services, established in 1991.
The Chamber is a member of the Bulgarian Industrial Association, the Confederation of Employers and Industrialists in Bulgaria, the European Association of Mining, Metal Ores and Industrial Materials (EUROMINES) and the European Association for Coal and Lignite (EVRACOL).
The Bulgarian Chamber of Mining and Geology supports the UN Global Compact and is an active member of the Bulgarian UN Network.
Currently the organization unites 116 members from the following eight sub-industries: Extraction of Metal Ores, Extraction of Non-Metal Ores – Industrial Materials, Extraction of Oil and Natural Gas, Coal Mining, Extraction of Inert and Construction Materials, Extraction of Marbles and Granites, Geology, Related Activities – Science, Engineering, Mining, Construction, Trade, etc. Between 50 and 100% of the companies in Bulgaria with businesses in the mentioned spheres of industry are members of the Chamber. They contribute between 3% and 4 % of the country’s GDP, provide over 30,000 direct jobs, and in excess of 120,000 jobs as indirect employment.
The major functions of the Bulgarian Chamber of Mining and Geology are:
- to support and encourage the Chamber members in developing their businesses;
- to represent the Chamber members and defend their interests;
- to represent the Bulgarian mining industry before government authorities, the bodies for social cooperation and partnership, the industrial organisations on a national and international level and EU institutions;
- to represent the Chamber members in negotiating collective labour agreements and in the tri-partite cooperation; in concluding a collective labour agreement for the industry in compliance with the Labour Code;
- to review and prepare statements on draft legislation concerning the mining industry;
- to cooperate in promoting professional development and improved labour conditions;
- to assist in attracting investments in the industry;
- to ensure that the mining industry develops in compliance with the principles of sustainable development, environmental preservation, and guarantees the public interest;
- to cooperate with similar European and international organisations for the purpose of studying and adopting the best available practices;
- to promote the image of the Bulgarian mining industry in the country and abroad.
BCMG’s key partners are:
- State institutions – the Ministry of Energy, Ministry of Economy, Ministry of Environment and Waters, Ministry of Regional Development and Infrastructure, Ministry of Education and Science, Ministry of Labour and Social Policy, National Parliament, and local government institutions;
- Industrial organizations – the Bulgarian Industrial Association (BIA); the Confederation of Employers and Industrialists in Bulgaria (CEIBG); the European Association of Mining Industries, Metal Ores and Industrial Materials(EUROMINES) and the European Association for Coal and Lignite (EURACOAL).
- Scientific and academic organizations – “St. Ivan Rilski” University of Mining and Geology and Science and the Science and Technology Union of Mining, Geology and Metallurgy.
- Trade unions – the Federation of the Independent Trade Unions of Miners and the “Podkrepa” Mining Trade Union Federation.